Wednesday 9 February 2011

Review: The Queen's lady by Eve Edwards

1584 – Surrey, England When Lady Jane Rievaulx begins service to the Queen at Richmond Palace, she is thrilled at the court’s newest arrival . . . Master James Lacey. Despite her previous courtship with his older brother, James is the man she truly loves. And for his part, he cannot deny his fascination with her. However, James is setting sail on a treacherous journey to the Americas, seeking absolution for what he sees as past sins. But when Lady Jane is forced into a terrible situation by her own family, there is only one man to save her. Will Master James return to his lady ­- before it’s too late?

I reviewed the first book of this series “The Other Countess” a few weeks ago – and I loved it. And “The Queen’s Lady” didn’t disappoint as the follow up.
It was great to get back in to the characters that had been introduced in the first book, and to meet a host of new ones as well.

I love Jane, I have from the start, and so I was thrilled she got to have her own story. Edwards really cuts it down to the wire – when it gets bad it gets really really bad, and doesn’t look like people are going to be rescued in time. It’s a truly nail biting ride! It was great to see a different side to her, to see how the events of the first book and the problems that caused in the eighteen months between then and now. And she had changed. She’s insecure, lost and very much alone. It was certainly a stark contrast, and really well written and played out.

James *sigh* I think you’re adorable, and I get the self pitying hell you’ve thrown yourself into. But I wasn’t quite convinced. I kept thinking he wasn’t really going to leave. I know that would have made the story a lot simpler, and I get that it helped him clear his head so he could see he loved Jane – but it all seemed a little hectic and rushed. I would have liked to see more of him in a different capacity.

That said, I still love him, I love his relationship with Jane, and I love Edwards combination of soft and loving, and kick ass manly man. She strikes the perfect balance with her men.

Most of the time… Because I really wasn’t fussed on Kit. Not sure why, but he really didn’t do it for me. Probably because he was standing (or trying to) in the way of Milly and Diego’s happiness.

Milly and Diego! Squee! I love them! I love that we got a friend for Jane, since Ellie was out of the picture, and I love the history between the two of them, and how that and their feelings came out. I almost wish they could have had a book of their own, but they got enough time throughout this that I felt satisfied.

Edwards truly knows how to make villains – eesh those people are terrifying. They’re all stronger, all complete arses, and so completely convinced of their own self importance over a woman. It made my blood boil. So hats off to her incredible portrayal of the baddies.

All said and done, I really enjoyed this book. It’s not going to go into my list of omg books, or books that changed my life. But it’s a good read, very good escapism, and just great to read a romance where you know they love each other, and will end up happy.

The third book in the series “The Rogue Princess” is coming out in July 2011 – and whilst I love the series, I’m not so sure about Kit being the male lead. I didn’t really like his character very much throughout “The Queen’s Lady” so I’m hoping that I’ll warm to him I the next book. However, who’s going to be his woman? We’ve married off the three we got to know – so who’s the lucky girl going to be?

This does give me hope – if three of the brothers have their own books, I can’t wait to see if Tobias gets one. I really love Tobias, and it would be great for him to get a happy ending too.

No comments:

Post a Comment