Saturday 22 October 2011

The Vampire Diaries Review: Smells Like Teen Spirit



Previously on The Vampire Diaries: Klaus was mean to everyone, Stefan switched off, Elena and Damon had a moment, Tyler was turned into a hybrid, Matt committed suicide, thankfully Bonnie knew CPR, and Katherine and Jeremy teamed up to be the best sleuthing couple ever in a bid to find the scariest beast around – Mikeal. And Dana died – let’s take a moment…

Ah, we know we’re in Mystic Falls because we’re waking up with Elena at quarter past five in the morning?... How long does this girl need to take with her pre-school make up prep?
That’s right, use make up to hide the marks of your terrible boy. Stefan, be ashamed of yourself. That’s right, hang your head.

Alaric is also up at five fifteen? What is wrong with this household? Oh wait, he has a hangover, all is right with the world.

Wait, they got up that early to do vampire killing workout? And Alaric has a dummy for just such an occasion? I love it. I love that Elena is finally doing something to protect herself, and that Alaric is finally starting to step up and become not only a mostly functioning adult, but also a parent.

“Thanks for not sugar coating it…” I like that he’s also brutally honest with her, and seemingly a little bit bored with all of this. “Vampires will take whatever they want, they will hurt whoever they want, and they will do it without remorse – it’s their nature.”

“You don’t have to use pronouns, you can say Stefan.” I am so glad that Elena has finally shaken out of her lovey dovey phase. Stefan is currently a jack ass, and I love that she’s not sitting around and taking it. She’s preparing and she’s going to fight back. Spunky Elena is cool.

“I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning, and that makes you the strongest person I know. I think that you can do, pretty much anything.” Alaric is actually pretty good at this parenting thing, how long has it been since Elena had a decent pep talk from an adult?

Ahhh, soundtrack junkie moment – Ok Go “This too shall Pass.” Whilst I love it here, seriously go check out the video for the song. It is epic. Actually both videos for it. They are both epic.

This takes me right back to the pilot and the second episode, actually everything about this episode reminds me of those two episodes. Being back at school (hey they do still go there!) the party, and various other little moments. And the idea of the bad brother and the good brother, only completely role reversed.

“Ok so prank night was a bust, but we are accepting it and we are moving on.” Have I said how much I love Caroline lately? Cos I love her a lot. Her optimism and spirit, and just look how far she’s come in the last year.

That goes for all of them. Just looking at the similarities to this time last year, but also the differences. It’s a really nice reflective episode – without going too far back in time.

“I mean why should I let the fact that my boyfriend is seeing the ghosts of his dead girlfriends hinder this experience?”
“Yes! And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid, put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day?!”
“Today’s our anniversary.”
Ok Elena you win on the sucky boyfriend and the half empty glass fronts. Way to go.

“New year, new life.” This seems to be Elena’s mantra at the start of every year. Maybe she should move? Or graduate. Oh wait, you have to attend school more than three times a year to do that… And now, murder meetings in the history classroom after hours does not count as attendance.

“Hey the two brunettes on the staircase owe me a Persian rug.” Oh wow. I love how twisted this is. I mean, we saw Damon party half naked with sorority girls, but we never saw him play blood donor twister with a bunch of girls whilst leaving a trail of bodies around the house.

I also love the look on Damon’s face – as though he has been here before a hundred years ago, and god damn it he is bored of cleaning up the bodies.
“Would you like a spin?”

“These ladies are helping me be all that I can be!” You know, on one level I want to slap him, but on every other level I LOVE EVIL STEFAN. Please stick around for a while. He’s cool, he’s cocky and he is so much more fun when he’s bad.

“Who the hell are you?” Has Damon not yet met Rebekah? Oh he is in for a treat! And she’s had chance to go shopping already?
Dear lord, Klaus even left Rebekah here? I mean I know he needs people to protect his assets, but considering how desperate he was to take Rebekah with him in the 20’s it seems cruel even for him to abandon her in Mystic Falls whilst he goes off gallivanting.

“You’re Klaus’s sister?”
“Rebekah, pleasure I’m sure. Which room’s my room?”
“You’re not staying here.”
“Rude. Both of you. I’ll see to it myself.”
“So I guess she’s staying here.”
First off, I love that she’s actually just moved in. Second, anyone else snigger over that little baffled shake of the head from Damon when she asks which rooms is hers? And how sick he looks after she’s run off. Poor Damon.

Um Bonnie, considering it is your fault that Jeremy is seeing ghosts, it’s a bit mean to be this fussed about it.
So if he didn’t break up with anyone, does this mean he is currently dating three girls at once? Jeremy you sly dog.

Aw Matt. Suicide and you still only have a ghost to talk to.
“You can’t keep appearing like this, it freaks me out.”
“I’m a ghost – it’s all I got.”
“You ok? You seem unhappy.” The guy killed himself yesterday, why is no one seeing this as a cry for help?

Tyler is way too perky for someone who also died yesterday. This does not 
bode well.

Katherine is tempting Mikael with a mouse? How is that going to persuade him?
“Well try harder! We need him to kill Klaus so we can de-ripperfy Stefan before he destroys my house.”

BARBIE KLAUS?! Oh my word that might be my favourite nickname ever in the history of nicknames.
“Journalling, reading, shaping his hair… Is that the bell? RING RING – don’t want to be late!” Damon is on a winning streak for amusing phone calls with Elena so far this season.

“Vampire 101, don’t bring your breakfast to school”
Uh, Rebekah is hooking him up? On one level this is really bad, but on another, it kind of feels like Caroline is so stressed about the hybrid thing that she’s not even thought about the fact that Tyler is now a vampire and needs blood. She was so supportive and helpful when he wolfed out it seems cruel how harsh she’s being now over his vampirism.

Love that Stefan deliberately runs into Elena when she’s exiting the boys toilets at the start of the year (again) I also love that Stefan has to keep going to school because Klaus compelled him to. Does that not seem just a tiny bit awesome?
Oooo Ric, nice parental moment.
Jeez, Stefan really doesn’t care anymore, he’s making a scene with a teacher, in front of witnesses! To Alaric’s credit though, he doesn’t seem at all phased by it.

Barbie Klaus has come to join in? “history’s my favourite subject.” So we have a repeat of last year’s Stefan and history moment.

This whole Vicki coming back thing reeks of bad things about to happen. I don’t trust her. In fact I’m not even very pleased to see her.
So basically, she could come and go but still only be able to communicate with Matt? How is this better? I mean Matt seems to think about her an awful lot. She’s practically there all the time.
“You’ll still be a ghost Vic.”
“In a town full of vampire, witches and werewolves – I’ll fit right in.” Touché.

So Team Anna right now. And probably always – I’ve always had a soft spot for her.

Hold on, if she’s communicating with a witch then Vicki isn’t exactly ‘all alone’ on the ghost side. Someone isn’t telling the whole truth and I want to find out properly about these ghosts and what they mean.

“Has anybody seen Dana?” I’m glad someone noticed she died. This show is always good for people acknowledging the death of the characters brought in to be murdered.

Uhho – Rebekah a cheerleader? This can never end well? Barbie Klaus and Vampire Barbie are going to spontaneously combust at some point in the near future. It’s going to be awesome.
“I’m only interested in yours – your spunk, your popularity, maybe even your boyfriend...” Oooo, shits about to go down Rebekah sweetheart, you picked the wrong blonde to mess with.

I know Tyler’s new to this and therefore enjoying the perks, but seriously, he’s back to being the douche bag from season 1 all over again. I didn’t like that Tyler.
“Klaus has given me this – gift.”
“WHAT?” Sock him one, just a little bit. He’s earning it.
“Damn, girl’s got moves.”
So maybe Caroline might have her hands full over the next few weeks…

“I’m the guy who’s been assigned to protect the human blood bag.” Epically evil. I love that when she storms off he doesn’t seem to understand what he said/did. Good going Salvatore.

Mikael is getting really good at this playing dead thing.

“What are you going to bench press a vampire?” I think Damon might win for awesome lines tonight. “Come on Buffy!”
“You called, I’m here – what’s your plan oh warrior princess?”
“Every single time I look at him, I feel like I’m going to break, and I’m not going to give him that satisfaction.” I like strong feisty Elena, she’s so much more of a match for Damon like this.

Holy smokes… That scene is actually steaming. I may need a moment.
Before it’s always been very aggressive whenever Damon has manhandled Elena, so it hasn’t actually been all that alluring. However the balance has changed. There’s been all this talk about Damon needing to change to be with Elena, but actually she’s needed to change as well. Weak willed Elena who’ll roll over and play dead was no match for him. Whereas Katherine, Rose and Andie were all strong enough to raise an eyebrow and say no. In the books Damon wants Elena because she’s so strong and fierce and could easily be his Princess of Darkness. He worships her because of that.
I think this scene is one of their best because both of them have changed. Damon is less needy and aggressive with her, he’s had confirmation that she cares, so his top priority is keeping her safe, rather than seducing her. And I think it’s partly that that is seducing her in the first place. Because in almost every scene between the two of them, Elena’s eyes spend 70% of the time on Damon’s lips.
She’s stopped grimacing at the very thought of Damon and now seems to actively want him (note the writhing against him when he touches her to indicate where a vampire is vulnerable.)
So yeah, speech over. Suffice to say, I am totally on board and really think that something might actually happen between them now, something real. It’s just a matter of the right moment – and neither of the screwing up before that happens. Cos lets’ face it, the tension? Through the roof right now.

Yay for drunken parties on school property/advertised at school!

And planning! By lamp light! In the history classroom! How all the best schemes have begun.
“Last I checked we were out of daggers.”
“So then preoccupy her with your charm.”
“Might have better luck finding the dagger.” Oh Ric, when will you recommence your bro-mance with Damon? It was such a beautiful thing. Yes he’s a silly boy who probably shouldn’t go around killing friends when they’re in his way, but we all make mistakes! Give him a second chance?
“Are you ever not going to be mad at me Ric?”
“Doubtful.” Aw, shucks.

Yes! So glad that they’ve brought in and explained the sired part of the vampire lore. It’s a really great place to introduce it and it works brilliantly as part of the hybrid mentality – perhaps because of the pack mentality being part wolf? Also raises the stakes on how long Tyler is going to last being whipped by Klaus…

“You think I’m going to let a blood addict tell me how to drink?” Score one Gilbert. Stefan is really being a jerk to her this episode – is it all because he’s switched off, or does he find it easier to be a jerk to her when he can’t be anything else for her?
Did Elena knock Rebekah’s drink into her?...

Matt has a house! And a basement! And candles! And a weird trust in his slightly crazy dead sister, but you know…
Smoking blood, perfectly natural. WHY DID HE NOT CALL BONNIE???
As much as I dislike/don’t trust Vicki, I do love that Matt gets to have this hug and to just hold his dead sister for a few moments. The poor guy has been through so much and missed her so much, it’s just really touching and sweet.

“Matt’s trying to resurrect his dead sister! I think I’ll go deal with that instead.” Stop dodging your relationship Miss Bennet, it’s your fault he can see them in the first place!

Vicki’s like a kid in a sweet shop.
MATTY! I can’t believe she just wrenched her own brother who just brought her back… Not cool Vicki, very not cool.

Elena’s getting drunk on her own, whilst Stefan watches her… This isn’t creepy at all. On the other hand, I am loving drunk Elena, she’s the best. Hell there are so many characters who seem to be three quarters alcohol most of the time, she may as well join them and have a little fun…

Haha, loving that Rebekah totally isn’t getting smores. Poor girl. She’s missed out on so much.
As yummy as Damon and Rebekah are being with all their marshmallow innuendos, it just doesn’t feel like he’s putting his heart into it.

Also loving Elena’s jealous perving on them and the marshmallows.
“Well my brother’s got his flirt on, and you’re jealous…”

I told you Vicki was no good – ten minutes on her own and she’s already getting stoned.

“I can’t believe you’ve never had one of these before!”
“Well I’ve been in a casket for 90 years.”
“That’s no excuse.” You’re right Damon, Klaus should have woken her up and systematically fed her smores over the years.

“You’re distracting me, why?” She’s one smart cookie, you got to give her points. Also, Damon should stay away from sharp pointy things.

Ok for all his attitude this episode, Tyler does get points for realizing he’s screwed up and trying to make things right with Caroline. He does at least seem capable of listening now instead of going off the rails like old Tyler would have done.
“Everything I like about me, is you.”

I think Elena got drunker.
“It’s the fun police! I thought Ripper Stefan was supposed to be the life of the party.”
“That’s it I’m driving you home… What are you five?!” Yes Stefan, alcohol makes Elena regress.

“You’re hilarious.” Ok when Stefan is a douche and Elena is drunk, the banter is great between them. She needs to lighten up and be mean to him more. I like this.

Firstly, points for catching her. Secondly, there has to be some of the old Stefan there somewhere because he holds onto her instead of letting her go straight away. I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes because no matter what they’re doing there’s still chemistry between the two of them.

Nice shot. And it worked, highly impressed. Apparently the key is to distract Stefan with distressed damsels. Actually I think that would work on either Salvatore.
“You look not sober.” Alaric? Pot, Kettle, Black.

Vicki? No good can come of this. Also, whilst I like the storyline, for some reason Matt and Bonnie are really irritating me this episode. Not quite sure why though.

I don’t think this could be classed as Elena’s day. Also, what the hell Ric? Did you get bulletproof windows?!

Point of interest? Does Bonnie just carry around a bag full of massive candles ‘just in case’?

I’m impressed, even vervained up Stefan can kick in the back of the car.

“I just didn’t want to be alone anymore.”
“Neither did I – but I have to let you go.” Three cheers for Matt for finally moving on and letting go. And laying her to rest. It’s been a while. Lets hope Katherine comes back and makes Matt a happy boy for a while. Or Rebekah, that could be fun.

I guess Alaric’s going to need a new car then. Maybe Damon could buy him one and they’ll love each other again?

“Elena! You almost got barbequed the least I can do is apply first aid.” Damon also seems to be coping a little better with Elena dying and him not being there to stop it. He’s growing as a person.

“You played your part of the plan really well tonight. You had Rebekah drooling all over you and your marshmallows.” Could she sound any bitterer?

“Thought you were too drunk to notice?”
“I was faking most of it.”
“So was I.”

Seriously these two are having some awesomely intimate moments this episode. That sound you can hear are thousands of Delena fans screaming ecstasy. Again.

Urgh Ric, I hate you right now for interrupting. That was so one of the potential moments for kissing of the not on death bed variety. Quel Sigh.
Damon seems to genuinely miss Ric, I hope they actually manage to patch things up again and soon. Otherwise Damon might start sending flowers, and chocolate, and gift wrapped cars…

“You have to earn the overnighter.”
“I consider that a challenge.”
He’s pretty much naked, how can you actually resist him right now you crazy fool?
Tyler, you are a bad boy. And not the fun variety. I will admit my heart sank a little bit when he indulged. Poor Caroline, things are not going to be pretty when she finds out. Also, Rebekah is a mix. Enough said.

Mikael’s voice melts me. If he is the father, I understand where Elijah got it from…
Oooo so he does only feed on vampires! Interesting.
I honestly don’t think Katherine is dead from this. Whilst it would be an immense shocker if she was, I think Plec, Williamson and Dobrev are all having too much fun to kill Katherine at this stage in such a way when there is so much more left for her to do, so many ends to tie – and when she does die, if she does, it will be in an epic all guns blazing kind of way.

“It’s ok if you want to be friends with Damon again.”
“I don’t.”
“I think he kind of misses you.” That’s the understatement of the century…

“After everything I’ve done you still think I’ll be able to find my humanity again?”
“Yes, I do. I know who you really are, better than anyone Stefan, and I’m not giving up.”
“Elena, do you have any idea how pathetic that makes you?”
“No Stefan, it makes me strong.”
YES! 100 points to Gilbert! Salvatore? You got owned…

Love Ric’s smirk.
You deserved that Stefan.

Jeremy, possibly not the best tone of voice to use when leaving a message for your very pissed off girlfriend.
Possibly also not the best idea to think of your dead ex-girlfriend whilst you’re doing it.
“The problem is, I don’t think I can stop thinking about you.”
“I can’t stop thinking about you either.”
Oh these two are just so tragically wonderful. I may cry. And now they can feel each other! Yay!

Poor Damon just cannot catch a break with people wrecking his house.

OMG UNCLE MASON! Oh baby we’ve missed you! Although it would be great if you could not mar Damon’s pretty face in the process of being very grumpy that he tortured you and ripped your heart out…
And if you’re still after the moonstone, you’re about a season too late. Sorry.

So? What did you think? After last week it was never going to be a show stopping episode, but it was still really solid. There was chance for every story line to progress, lots of character development and a few more shocking twists. AND I LOVE IT.
Your thoughts? Will Katherine make it? What will Mason do? And will Damon and Elena ever get a moment together without someone interrupting?

No comments:

Post a Comment