Friday 16 December 2011

My Favourite Christmas Re-Reads


So it’s coming up to Christmas, and as well as new and exciting books that are hitting my door mat/accidentally dropping into my hands when I go book shopping, I love to go back and revisit some old favourites around Christmas time.  Some are just random re-reads of well-loved books, but I’ve picked a few that are particularly Christmassy for me.

Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn

Can you get any more Christmassy than a murder at a country home at Christmas time? No I didn’t think so. I love the Lady Julia Grey series anyway, but the second book in the series holds a special place in my heart at this time of year. There’s something about the dinners and intrigues, and presents and snow and hunts and Christmas pudding making that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I particularly recommend reading this book by an open fire.

The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown by Julia Quinn et al.

Julia Quinn is one of my favourite regency romance authors. I love her characters, I love her world, and I love the way she’s created such a host of characters that everything interweaves and overlaps between the books. I also love Lady Whistledown, a gossip columnist that documents the scandals and parties of the ton. So a book of short stories by a collection of my favourite authors, at Christmas time, interwoven by Lady Whistledown’s own gossip and musings – la! What more could one want? Apart from a handsome hero to sweep me off my feet…

From Notting Hill with Love… Actually by Ali McNamara

I read this one for the first time just before Christmas last year, and that combined with the title and fabulous rom-com references throughout make this one of my ultimate Christmas re-reads. After all, Christmas is the season for watching rom-coms. A lot.
So go grab a copy, curl up and make sure you’ve got those rom-coms ready for re-watching straight after.

Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

Ok, the Christmas moments in every single Harry Potter book are fabulous. Even when Ron and Harry end up hating Hermione in book 3 – it’s still awesome! The Christmas trees! The decorating! The magical bubbles out of Professor Flitwick’s wand! Everything. Whether it’s just a handful of students, or pretty much the whole school in preparation for the ball – I love the atmosphere, the Weasley jumpers, and the insane crackers. Go re-read all the books – or just pick out the Christmas bits to get you in the festive mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment